Pirates to Raiders
Pirates to Raiders began in the Fall of 2011 at Talent Middle School. This pathway program is made possible with the collaboration of Southern Oregon University and the Phoenix-Talent School District. Each year, a new 8th grades cohort is selected to participate in the program. Southern Oregon University and Phoenix Talent School District are committed to working together to increase opportunities for Hispanic youth and families in the district.
Pirates to Raiders will assure every Hispanic student in the district has the ability to access a university education at Southern Oregon University. As the Hispanic population in the school district continues to grow, it is our responsibility to provide educational opportunities beyond high school for those students. A partnership of students, their families, the school district, and the university will help to ensure a strong and viable future for both the Rogue Valley and the State of Oregon. This partnership will leverage resources to prepare students for college course work as well as provide assistance and mentoring through application and financial aid processes.
Improve the college admissions process for families of Latino students by providing information, services, and the resources to educate parents.
Provide services for academic growth, leadership and high school graduation. Students who successfully complete the Pirates to Raiders/Bulldogs to Raiders program will be offered automatic admission to SOU, receive priority consideration for the Diversity Scholarship and will have an opportunity to earn a bachelorís degree.
- To improve the college admissions process for families of our Hispanic students by providing information, services, and the resources to help PTSD students and their families.
- To increase the number of PTSD Hispanic student who graduate from high school.
- To increase the number of PTSD Hispanic students who will successfully attend a university.
- To increase the number of PTSD Hispanic students who earn a bachelorís degree and/or advanced degrees.
All PTSD students who successfully complete the Pirates to Raiders program will be offered admission to SOU and will have an opportunity to earn a bachelor's degree. Starting in 8th grade and continuing through their senior year of high school, students and families will be offered active assistance by Phoenix-Talent School District and Southern Oregon University in the following areas:
- Learning about college opportunities and the value of a university education
- Planning visits to the Southern Oregon University campus
- Learning about, taking, and completing college preparatory courses
- Preparing for college
- Applying for college admission
- Learning about and applying for college financial aid opportunities
- Applying for university financial aid