Phoenix High School History
Phoenix High School opened in 1909 with nine freshman students in a brick building (which is now Phoenix Elementary School). The school became an accredited four-year high school with 36 students in 1915. A new school was built in 1948 on the site where Phoenix High School now stands. In 1960, the Phoenix and Talent School Districts merged into a single district, with all 9th through 12th graders attending Phoenix High School. The school was remodeled in 1991 and now serves approximately 800 students.
Phoenix HS Alumni
We are proud of all who are affiliated with our school district. Phoenix High School graduates may be found across the nation and throughout the world. Knowledge of their endeavors and adventures inspire our current students, and we maintain an ‘Alumni Wall’ at the school to honor these alumni.
The graduates of Phoenix High School have continued on to go great things, most importantly the positive affect they have had upon the communities in which they have settled. Here is a brief sampling of the directions our graduates have pursued after they left Phoenix.
Alumni have pursued careers in government
- Alumni have worked for NASA, the US Department of the Interior, the US Department of Justice, the US Department of Homeland Security, the FBI, the US Department of Fish and wildlife, and the Oregon Department of Forestry.
Alumni have pursued careers in academia
- Of the 50+ alumni who have become educators, at least a dozen are university professors; one has become the president of a major university and another was the national head of Head Start.
- At least 22 alumni have earned a Ph.D
- The pursuit of education is one of the two largest career directions for Phoenix alumni
Alumni have pursued careers in journalism
- Several alumni have pursued careers in journalism as reporters and tv news anchors, and make be found in California, Oregon, Florida and Washington.One alumni was a film editor for the LA Times and head of bilingual programming.
Alumni have pursued careers in performing arts
- Alumni may be found performing on the stage in London, Seattle, New York City, and Ashland, and pursuing film and tv roles in Hollywood.One alumni was a set designer in Hollywood.
Alumni have pursued careers in health care
- The pursuit of health care is one of the two largest career directions for Phoenix alumni, as many have become physicians, nurse practitioners, pharmacists and physical therapists.One alumni worked in the Department of Genetics at Harvard Medical Center
Also . . .
- Phoenix have had alumni were responsible for bridge and trail construction in national parks, five who were commercial airline pilots, another who was the captain of a Greenpeace ship, wilderness firefighters, law enforcement, search and rescue, attorneys, people who worked for NGO’s to combat human trafficking, and many others who pursued careers in agriculture and with the United States armed services.
The above only represent a sampling of our graduates (information provided by 1000+ graduates), and the numbers above are only those we have confirmed so far. Undoubtedly, there are other accomplished figures we have not learned about.
(People above have been referred to in the past-tense so we do not have to constantly repost updates.)