Board of Directors 2019-2020
Craig Prewitt, Board Chair - Craig.Prewitt@phoenix.k12.or.us
Dawn Watson, Vice-Chair - Dawn.Watson@phoenix.k12.or.us
Rick Nagel - Rick.Nagel@phoenix.k12.or.us
Sara Crawford - Sara.Crawford@phoenix.k12.or.us
Lori Ghavam - Lori.Ghavam@phoenix.k12.or.us
Alexis Di Fruscia - Alexis.DiFruscia@phoenix.k12.or.us
The Board of Directors of the Phoenix-Talent School District #4 hereby announces that, as of February 1, 2020, Board Position 6 in Zone 2 (Phoenix/Medford) area has been declared vacant. The Board is seeking applicants to fill the vacancy until the next regular election. An appointee would serve until June 30, 2021.
All applications must be submitted to District Office no later than March 4, 2020. Applicants must reside within the District Zone where the vacancy has occurred in order to be considered. Further information and application forms may be obtained here or at the District administration office located at 401 W. Fourth Street, Phoenix, OR 97535 or by calling the Board Secretary at (541) 535-1511.
Submitted by: Denise Skinner
Date: February 7, 2020
Meet our newest board member Alexis Di Fruscia
Alexis is a junior at Southern Oregon University. Alexis comes from a family that has served in education. Her father had an outdoor wilderness school, her mother, Marina Piacentini, is a teacher at Talent Middle School and she also served on the board for seven years. Alexis's grandfather was also a teacher.
Alexis is studying for her bachelor’s degree in mathematics and plans to get her master’s in teaching.
OSBA Conference 2017
2018-19 Phoenix-Talent Schools Board and Superintendent. From Left to right: Craig Prewitt, Nate Shinn, Board Chairman; Sara Crawford, Richard Nagel, Shana Vos, Lori Ghavam, Dawn Watson, Board Vice-Chair; and Superintendent Brent Barry. Photo taken at OSBA Annual Conference, November 2017.
Board Guiding Principles
- The Board shall make decisions based on factors that assure the best possible learning environment for all students with emphasis on minimum class sizes, varied curriculum and student achievement for all.
- The Board shall encourage and support the Superintendent and Staff in continuing the efficient operation of the school district and strive, individually and collectively, to recognize the outstanding efforts and growth of all staff on a regular basis.
- The Board shall make balanced decisions and policies mindful of the best interest of all members of the school district including the students, parents/guardians, educators and the citizens of the community.
- The Board shall evaluate, periodically, all programs and attempt to continue, modify or restore as many disciplines as practical to provide a broad-based education for all students.
- The Board shall increase and monitor educational opportunities for student success through appropriate curriculum with classroom flexibility on an individual basis, when warranted and resources are available.
- The Board shall be knowledgeable about District activities and functions and shall encourage and support students, staff and community by attending and participating in District activities and functions when and as often as possible.
- The Board shall encourage appropriate communication pathways with students, parents/guardians, community members, and District staff, while maintaining the highest code of ethics and professional behavior.
- The Board shall encourage the conservative use of all resources, both natural and man-made. Strategic decisions should be made with consideration for longevity, fiscal responsibility, and sustainability.
- The Board shall continue to affirm our commitment to the community using bond resources to build a premium education environment in our region.
These are the Members of the Budget Committee...
PHOENIX-TALENT SCHOOLS BUDGET COMMITTEE
The Board of Directors of Phoenix-Talent Schools hereby announces one vacancy on the Budget Committee. The position's term ends August 31, 2020 at which time the candidate can reapply for another three-year term.
The Board will be accepting applications for appointment to fill the declared vacancy. All applications must be submitted to District Office no later than August 31, 2020 or until the position(s) have been filled. Applicants must reside within the Phoenix-Talent School District. Download an application here. Further information may be obtained at the District administration office located at 401 W. Fourth Street, P. O. Box 698, Phoenix, OR 97535 or by calling the Board Secretary at (541) 535-1511.
Submitted by: Denise Skinner