School board candidate filings
School board positions are open for filing as part of the May 18, 2021 special election.
Filings opened on February 8. The filing deadline is March 18, with candidate statements due on March 22.
Filing information and election forms can be found on the Jackson County Elections page.
You will need to complete the following:
• The SEL 190 with $10.00 filing fee, which is a requirement to get your name printed on the ballot.
• If you wish to have your information printed in the Voters’ Pamphlet, you must file the Candidate Statement & Statement of Endorsement form with the fee of $25.00.
School boards elect OSBA Board for 2021
Three contested races will bring new faces to the OSBA Board of Directors in 2021 as it wrestles with the ongoing pandemic and a full legislative session.
The OSBA elections wrapped up Friday, Dec. 18. School boards chose 10 members to sit on the OSBA Board. The board offers guidance for the association as it advocates for stable and adequate funding and provides local boards with support and development.
Dawn Watson of Phoenix-Talent won the race for the Southern Region (position 5), Jesse Lippold of Salem-Keizer won the Marion Region (position 11), and Katrina Doughty of the Multnomah Education Service District will hold the Multnomah Region (position 17).
Congratulations to our School Board Chairperson, Dawn Watson, for being elected as the Southern region representative to the OSBA Board for 2021.
Board of Directors 2020-2021
Dawn Watson, Board Chair - Dawn.Watson@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2013
Rick Nagel - Rick.Nagel@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 1999
Sara Crawford - Sara.Crawford@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2016
Michael Campbell, Vice Chair - Michael.Campbell@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2020
Nancy McKinnis - Nancy.McKinnis@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2020
VACANT - Position #5, zone 1
VACANT - Position #7, zone 2
Meet our newest Board member Nancy McKinnis appointed in September, 2020
We are delighted to welcome our newest member to our Board. Nancy McKinnis was recently selected to fill a vacancy at our September 3, 2020 meeting.
Nancy was born in Mexico and moved to the United States at the age of nine. Nancy has lived in Southern Oregon ever since and she attended Talent Middle School during her sixth grade school year. Throughout her professional career, most of the work she has done has been around community engagement and empowerment.
Nancy currently works for Jackson Care Connect. Mrs. McKinnis has always had a passion to work in health care and her strength is to educate and advocate. One of her priority areas with Jackson Care Connect has been a partnership between schools and healthcare.
Nancy believes in strengthening families with dignity, compassion, and empowerment. Nancy has personally seen how community support and connections are so vital to success. Nancy feels she brings a willingness to authentically connect with people to the school District and the community.
Meet Board member Michael Campbell appointed in March, 2020
Michael Campbell was appointed to the board on March 5, 2020. Michael has previous board experience with a neighboring district and he comes from a family of educators. Michael says that he is proud to live in this District and he is grateful and proud to see all that has been accomplished. Michael joins us with enthusiasm and support and we are delighted to welcome him to our Board of Directors.
Board Guiding Principles
- The Board is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive school environment in which all of our students, families, and staff members feel valued, respected, and welcomed.
- The Board condemns all acts of discrimination towards individuals or groups, and in turn will celebrate diversity by fostering an environment that treats all people with dignity and respect while supporting efforts that sustain equity within the field of education. We are committed to including diverse people, ideas, cultures and traditions in all areas of our work.
- The Board shall make decisions based on factors that assure the best possible learning environment for all students with emphasis on minimum class sizes, varied curriculum and student achievement for all.
- The Board shall encourage and support the Superintendent and Staff in continuing the efficient operation of the school district and strive, individually and collectively, to recognize the outstanding efforts and growth of all staff on a regular basis.
- The Board shall make balanced decisions and policies mindful of the best interest of all members of the school district including the students, parents/guardians, educators and the citizens of the community.
- The Board shall evaluate, periodically, all programs and attempt to continue, modify or restore as many disciplines as practical to provide a broad-based education for all students.
- The Board shall increase and monitor educational opportunities for student success through appropriate curriculum with classroom flexibility on an individual basis, when warranted and resources are available.
- The Board shall be knowledgeable about District activities and functions and shall encourage and support students, staff and community by attending and participating in District activities and functions when and as often as possible.
- The Board shall encourage appropriate communication pathways with students, parents/guardians, community members, and District staff, while maintaining the highest code of ethics and professional behavior.
- The Board shall encourage the conservative use of all resources, both natural and man-made. Strategic decisions should be made with consideration for longevity, fiscal responsibility, and sustainability.
- The Board shall continue to affirm our commitment to the community using bond resources to build a premium education environment in our region.
These are the Members of the Budget Committee...
Meet the Board...
Communicating with the Board
Do you have something to share
with the school board?
Here's the process:
Please read the following message before planning to come to a board meeting:
Citizen Comments – To support the Governor’s recommendations for social distancing, we will conduct our board meetings via ZOOM or Google Meet until further notice. We ask that the public share their comments via email by sending them to Board Secretary, Denise Skinner at email@example.com All comments should be received no later than the day before the meeting by 5:00 p.m.
The public is welcome to comment at the board meetings. If there are multiple members of a group or organization present, the board chair may ask that a representative speak on behalf of the group and limit time for public comment. During citizen comments, the board will listen but not respond to comments. When attending in person, please do the following:
- Sign the citizen comments roster before the meeting starts.
- Include your name, organization you represent (if any), city of residence and topic or agenda item number you wish to address.
- Keep your comments to no more than two minutes.
- Avoid complaints or naming individual staff members or students when you speak. There is another procedure for this.
- If you have materials you would like to share with the board, please give the board secretary 10 copies before you start to speak.
If you have any questions about the process or speaking before the board, please call Denise Skinner, Board Secretary at 541-535-1511.
Other ways you can communicate
with the board
Call the Board Secretary/Executive Assistant to the Superintendent at 541-535-1511. She will share your information with the board members or forward a message on your behalf.
- Write to the board or a specific board member and address your correspondence to:
Phoenix-Talent School District
Attn: School Board / or board member
P.O. Box 698
Phoenix, OR 97535
- Email a school board member. Email addresses are as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also send your email to the board secretary at: email@example.com and it will be forwarded to the board chair and/or members.
Board Member Qualifications and Vacancy
Please see Board Policy BBBA for qualifications and zoning maps to see if you reside in the proper zone of the board vacancy being advertised.