Board of Directors 2019-2020
Craig Prewitt, Board Chair - Craig.Prewitt@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 1997
Dawn Watson, Vice-Chair - Dawn.Watson@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2013
Rick Nagel - Rick.Nagel@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 1999
Sara Crawford - Sara.Crawford@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2016
Lori Ghavam - Lori.Ghavam@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2017
Alexis Di Fruscia - Alexis.DiFruscia@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2019
Michael Campbell - Michael.Campbell@phoenix.k12.or.us
Member since 2020
Meet our newest Board member Michael Campbell elected in March, 2020
Michael Campbell was recently appointed to the board on March 5, 2020. Michael has previous board experience with a neighboring district and he comes from a family of educators. Michael says that he is proud to live in this District and he is grateful and proud to see all that has been accomplished. Michael joins us with enthusiasm and support and we are delighted to welcome him to our Board of Directors.
Meet member Alexis Di Fruscia elected in May, 2019.
Alexis is a junior at Southern Oregon University. Alexis comes from a family that has served in education. Her father had an outdoor wilderness school, her mother, Marina Piacentini, is a teacher at Talent Middle School and she also served on the board for seven years. Alexis's grandfather was also a teacher.
Alexis is studying for her bachelor’s degree in mathematics and plans to get her master’s in teaching.
We are excited to have Alexis join the board and we welcome her fresh perspective.
Board Guiding Principles
- The Board shall make decisions based on factors that assure the best possible learning environment for all students with emphasis on minimum class sizes, varied curriculum and student achievement for all.
- The Board shall encourage and support the Superintendent and Staff in continuing the efficient operation of the school district and strive, individually and collectively, to recognize the outstanding efforts and growth of all staff on a regular basis.
- The Board shall make balanced decisions and policies mindful of the best interest of all members of the school district including the students, parents/guardians, educators and the citizens of the community.
- The Board shall evaluate, periodically, all programs and attempt to continue, modify or restore as many disciplines as practical to provide a broad-based education for all students.
- The Board shall increase and monitor educational opportunities for student success through appropriate curriculum with classroom flexibility on an individual basis, when warranted and resources are available.
- The Board shall be knowledgeable about District activities and functions and shall encourage and support students, staff and community by attending and participating in District activities and functions when and as often as possible.
- The Board shall encourage appropriate communication pathways with students, parents/guardians, community members, and District staff, while maintaining the highest code of ethics and professional behavior.
- The Board shall encourage the conservative use of all resources, both natural and man-made. Strategic decisions should be made with consideration for longevity, fiscal responsibility, and sustainability.
- The Board shall continue to affirm our commitment to the community using bond resources to build a premium education environment in our region.
These are the Members of the Budget Committee...
Meet the Board...
Communicating with the Board
Do you have something to share
with the school board?
Here's the process:
The public is welcome to comment at the board meetings. If there are multiple members of a group or organization present, the board chair may ask that a representative speak on behalf of the group and limit time for public comment. During citizen comments, the board will listen but not respond to comments.
Please read this update before planning to come to a board meeting:
Citizen Comments – In order to reduce the spread of the coronavirus and observing social distancing protocols, the Governor of Oregon issued Executive Order 20-12. The most recent action taken on March 23, 2020 mandated that all individuals are to stay at home or their place of residence if possible. We are therefore, suspending public attendance at Board meetings until further notice. Public comment can be shared via email. Please send your email including your comment to Board Secretary, Denise Skinner at firstname.lastname@example.org All comments should be received no later than the day before the meeting by 5:00 p.m.
- Sign the citizen comments roster before the meeting starts.
- Include your name, organization you represent (if any), city of residence and topic or agenda item number you wish to address.
- Keep your comments to no more than two minutes.
- Avoid complaints or naming individual staff members or students when you speak. There is another procedure for this.
- If you have materials you would like to share with the board, please give the board secretary 10 copies before you start to speak.
If you have any questions about the process or speaking before the board, please call Denise Skinner, Board Secretary at 541-535-1511.
Other ways you can communicate
with the board
Call the Board Secretary/Executive Assistant to the Superintendent at 541-535-1511. She will share your information with the board members or forward a message on your behalf.
- Write to the board or a specific board member and address your correspondence to:
Phoenix-Talent School District
Attn: School Board / or board member
P.O. Box 698
Phoenix, OR 97535
- Email a school board member. Email addresses are as follows: email@example.com
You can also send your email to the board secretary at: firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be forwarded to the board chair and/or members.