This transfer is used for students who wish to change districts and requires approval from both the resident district and the receiving district. An Interdistrict transfer request needs to be started in the district in which you reside.
A Nonresident Interdistrict Transfer Admission Request is for students who live outside of the Phoenix-Talent School District and wish to attend one of the schools within our district. This form can be printed below.
A Resident Interdistrict Transfer Release Request is for students who reside within the Phoenix-Talent School District and wish to attend a school in another district. Per ORS 339.127 Section 1.(9)(c) a resident student may be granted an interdistrict hardship transfer release if the student is facing an emergency circumstance that threatens the health, safety, or welfare of the student. See below for more information on the website link. Please include a statement with your application as to why you are requesting the release.
An Intradistrict Transfer is available for those students who live within the Phoenix-Talent School District and wish to attend a different elementary school within the Phoenix-Talent School District other than their resident school. This form can be printed below.
Conditions of an Intradistrict Transfer
1. A student transfer is dependent on space available in the school of your choice. Each year some elementary schools are closed to transfers due to over enrollment.
2. Transportation is the responsibility of the family.
3. Transfers may be revoked by the School District for irregular attendance, chronic tardiness, or persistent refusal to abide by rules for student behavior in effect at the school.
4. This transfer, if already on file, will be renewed annually. The conditions of the renewed transfer will still apply.
Mid-Year or Summer Move Transfers – also known as a continuation transfer
A mid-year or summer move transfer is for families who move out of the Phoenix-Talent School District during the school year or over the summer break and would like to remain enrolled in the district for the remainder of the school year (or the upcoming school year if the move occurs during the summer break). This transfer does not require a release by the new resident district but families will need to submit a Nonresident Interdistrict Transfer Admission form with their school indicating the date of the move. If the student wishes to remain in the Phoenix-Talent School District the following year, they must apply through the standard Nonresident Interdistrict Admission Transfer process. The form below is for both types of transfers. Be sure to include the move date on the form where asked. Please note that it is the responsibility of the parent to provide transportation.
Open Enrollment (No longer an option)
Open Enrollment, enacted by the Oregon Legislature in 2011, created an additional option for students wishing to transfer between districts. The open enrollment statute contains a sunset provision, ending July 1, 2019 through Senate Bill 1566 (Chapter 60) effective 3/15/16.
What this means for students:
- 2018-19 was the last school year for students to transfer under this law. Open Enrollment closed on April 1, 2018.
- Any student who transferred to a new district through open enrollment prior to the 2019-20 school year gets to stay in that district. The open enrollment statute contains language specifically stating that the sunset does not affect the status of a person who transferred via open enrollment prior to the 2019-20 school year. However, if your child enrolls in another district, they may no longer return under open enrollment.
The Legislature may choose to extend the sunset during the 2019 legislative session. However, until the Legislature takes action, the sunset is still in effect and new students may no longer enroll through open enrollment.
Where can I get more information on Interdistrict Transfers?
The Oregon Department of Education’s website provides additional information on Oregon interdistrict transfer laws.
For questions, please contact the Phoenix-Talent Schools District office at 541-535-1517.
You may email your completed application to Brissia Morales at email@example.com
Please note that an application is needed for each student.