- Phoenix High School
- Summer Programs & Jobs
City of Medford - Senior Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
The City of Medford has new and exciting Aquatics opportunities this year!
We are offering classes for certification onsite at no cost and have several summer positions available.
The Senior Swim Instructor is responsible for teaching swim lessons to participants and manage the daily routine of the aquatic facility. This position requires a fun and positive disposition, excellent customer service and communication skills and the ability to work well with a team. The pool opens Monday, June 10, 2019.
Several shifts available (hours can be part-time or full-time):
- Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Monday - Friday 5:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday 12:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.
- Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
- Paid sick leave
- 24 hour fitness center
Typical Job Duties
These duties are a representative example; position assignments may vary depending on the business needs of the department and organization.
- Conduct swim lessons for various ages and skill levels.
- Keep accurate progress records.
- Participate as a member of the Aquatic Management Team and attend Aquatic Management Team meetings.
- Mentor and support new staff.
- Assist Management Team with training and supervision as needed.
- Attend and participate in all staff trainings and meetings.
- Oversee the daily activities of the aquatic facility.
- Enforce all policies, rules and regulations.
- Perform cleaning duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility.
- Be knowledgeable about the aquatics plan and other recreational programs.
- Pick up swim lesson rosters each Monday morning at the Santo Community Center before the start of lessons.
- Assign instructors to teach lessons.
- Follow emergency action plan in the event of an emergency.
- Provide emergency care/treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Caution and educate swimmers against dangerous situations.
- Ensure pool water chemical tests are being completed every hour.
- Assist patrons with putting on life jackets.
- Make entries into the aquatic daily log.
- Review daily time sheets for accuracy.
- Perform other functions and duties as needed and/or assigned.
- Must be 18 years or older at time of hire.
- Must have at least one year of experience working at a public pool as a life guard and swim instructor.
- Must have current American Red Cross Lifeguard, YMCA Lifeguard, International Lifeguard Training Program, or Starfish Aquatics Institute StarGuard training by hire date.
- Lifeguard re-certification will be offered onsite at no cost.
- Must have current First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer certifications by hire date.
- CPR and Professional Rescuer re-certifications will be offered onsite at no cost.
- Must be able to work in various air quality conditions.
DEMONSTRATED ABILITY TO:
- Demonstrate personal swimming ability.
- Work with people tactfully but firmly.
- Provide excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Physically execute water rescue and artificial respiration for a reasonable length of time.
- Swim proficiently, react quickly and calmly in an emergency situation at the aquatic facility.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions in a calm manner.
- Successfully multi-task.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Provide courteous assistance to public.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Certification Training Available
For more information about lifeguarding jobs and becoming certified, please contact Sandi Sherman, Recreation Supervisor at 541-774-2405. If you need to be re-certified, you must complete an online application by April 15, 2019 to participate in certification classes.
The first re-certification class will be offered in May and training will be held two weekends (Friday night and all day Saturday and Sunday) for a total of 28 hours.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Light Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, intense noises and travel.
To Apply: City of Medford employment application must be completed via the City's website www.cityofmedford.org. Position is open until filled (position may close middle of May).
The City of Medford complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you consider yourself disabled and require assistance in the application process, please contact Human Resources Department by telephone: (541) 774-2010 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection Process: Applications will be reviewed by the Parks & Recreation Department for interview with final appointment by the City Manager. Those selected must be able to provide proof of legal right to work in this country. Hiring subject to favorable criminal history investigation and drug screen testing.